I am a DC native, and I have been drawing all my life. I have a BA in Art from Catholic University, but I didn’t discover what I really wanted to paint until years later. I studied Sumi-e painting here in N.VA with Roddy McLean in the mid 1970’s, and loved it. The simple, quiet, meditative aspects of it really appealed to me.
After moving to Raleigh, NC, I took a pastel course with some friends, and really got hooked. The immediacy of it and the incredible range of colors are addictive. It is MESSY, but, oh, so much fun!
I especially like to paint figures, and I love the way light can model and define the human body and physical surroundings. I have had regular exposure to East Coast beaches over the years, so have done a lot of beach scenes, which I especially enjoy. I also like to use photos from the many national and international trips I’ve been blessed to take as references for my paintings.
I have affiliation with the following groups:
- IAPS–International Association of Pastel Societies -Mastser Circle Member
- PSA–The Pastel Society of America – Signature Member
- SPS–Southeastern Pastel Society- Member of Exellence
- AAC–the Atlanta Artists Center
- LRA–The League of Reston Artists